Friday, December 2, 2011

Reverb11 Day 2 Sanga...


Where have you discovered community in 2011? What are the defining characteristics and essential qualities of your tribe?

Team in Training  
"New friends" from the Police Department (before the start of Tough Mudder) 
Still friends after an exhausting day of team work challenges (after Tough Mudder)

"Community comes in a plethora of forms, and the people we choose to surround ourselves with matter a lot. Communities can be found online as well as in the flesh. Locally and internationally. Intimately small and mind-bogglingly grand. So, who’s in your clan? Where do you bond with kindred spirits? Who are your kinfolk?" ~Michelle Fajkus

Simply being with other people who are also seekers and who are involved in the same quest you are is very meaningful. ~Dan Wakefield

This is actually something I've been thinking a lot about lately as I've been struggling with dwindling physical relationships and, subsequently, the need to develop my online ones.  Sadly, I have found that many of my 'local tribe' are not as available as those I have found though the blog world and, as much as I enjoy these online friendships and the support they offer, I really do miss sitting across from a 'real' person while sipping some coffee or wine. 

I have found a sense of community with Team in Training, having met people I now consider close friends.  We share a passion for running, for finding a cure, for charity, gratitude and living in the moment, which we learned from our honorees.  There are my book club friends who range in age from 40 to 60+.  For us, it isn't always about the book (as a matter of fact it seems it's rarely about the book), but rather it's about sharing time and thoughts with one another. Through them I have learned to open my mind and seek truths from all sides. And I have found community from my new friends, introduced to me by my fiance through his work as a police officer. Through these friends and their spouses I have learned that even though we may have different views on a plethora of topics (you know, the taboo ones like religion and politics), there are often bigger things that draw people together and balance out these differences. This was beautifully, albeit tragically, expressed when one of the officers in our neighboring town was killed causing an outpouring of support, charity and love from this tribe.

Honestly, I am still seeking to build my community, something more authentic with encouragement to grow, explore, reveal and really be myself. {Fortunately, this is what I have found in my soon-to-be spouse.}  On the same token, I am working at becoming a better tribeswoman so that I can offer those things in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...