Sunday, December 11, 2011

December 11 ~ reverb11 ~ Gracias (Thanks)


Appreciation and acknowledgement are corner stones to building trust and deepening relationships. Write a thank you note or poem to someone who impacted your life in 2011.

I am not a poet...never have been, never will be.  Even as an AP English student, poetry was my weakest medium, whether in writing or comprehending.  Nonetheless, this is what came to me...unedited...and not exactly what I had in mind when I read the prompt for today.  I, of course, thought I would write a thanks to my wonderful fiance or best friend...but, who am I to erase these words which seemed to type themselves.


Thank you for the lessons 
I could never learn on my own,
for the words that bit and looks that hit
so deep into my soul.

Some times it takes a moment
to reflect on long ago hurts
before we realize how much we lost
by believing in those words.

I received the gift of love
once I placed those hurts on a shelf.
Never to be given strength again
thanks to the love I found for myself.

Smith Rock...over-coming my fear of heights!  I'm awesome!!
"I must learn to love the fool in me - the one who feels too much, talks to much, takes too many chances, wins sometimes and loses often, lacks self-control, loves and hates, hurts and gets hur, promises and breaks promises, laughs and cries. It alone protects me against that utterly self-controlled masterful tyrant whom I also harbor and who would rob me of human aliveness, humility, and dignity but for my fool." -Theodore I. Rubin, M.D.

This post is part of #reverb11, a series of daily writing prompts to explore the year passed and manifest the year ahead. These prompts can be found here and here.

4 comments:

  1. My latest post I sorta thank everyone. Does that count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! I love that rocky pic of you! And I'm way overdue for writing my husband something like you've suggested. I'll do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Josie...it was a fun, yet nerve racking day on those rocks!! And I know what you mean about the overdue 'thank yous'...sometimes I guess I take it for granted that other people in my life simply know I'm thankful...but it sure is nice to really express it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! It was a beautiful and emotional post. And I'd say it even gets "extra-credit". =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...