Monday, January 10, 2011

Revelations and Resolutions



I'm really a goal setter rather then a New Year's Resolution maker but there is something about the start of a new year that makes it a logical time to set (or reset) goals that I'd like to accomplish. I generally have on-going long term goals that I have been carrying around with me for years. Things like climb Mt. Shasta, get out of debt, drink more water, run a marathon, and several others that either haven't made it onto the short-term priority list or will naturally take years (gulp) to accomplish.

In reviewing this past year, and transferring information from last year's Planner to this year's, it has become painfully obvious that I spend more time making and researching these goals then actually achieving them. The above mentioned Mt. Shasta climb has been transferred to 5 new calenders...and I probably have about 20 pages of information printed out and stuffed into a folder covering everything from equipment lists to price comparisons between the 2 main guide companies (from 3 years ago) to FUTURE climbs I want to take IF I enjoy this one. See, I'm already planning where to climb next without even attempting to complete this first goal!!!

Yes, I set goals...I know all successful people do. But where I go wrong is in not taking that next step. So, this year I am going to focus on setting some smaller, more achievable goals that will get me in the habit of taking the next step, and the next, and the one after that...until I achieve those goals.

A very small, yet environmentally friendly goal I am undertaking is to eliminate my dependency on plastic water bottles. I have owned several nice Gaiam aluminum water containers for years. But rarely do I use them. There is so much talk about the "right" kind of water containers that I have literally spent hours reading articles about the pros and cons of the various types (nalgene, glass, aluminum, BPA-free) while I continue to use at least 4 plastic water bottle per day!!! Today, I pulled out my aluminum water bottles, filled then from my Pur water pitcher, and brought them to work with me. Day one of my new goal and I have already accomplished more than I have with my Mt. Shasta goal over the past 5 years! It's a small step but I feel remarkably fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...