Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Revisiting Goals


I've seen a few other bloggers revisiting their New Year's resolutions to either acknowledge their progress and/or redouble their efforts.  In reading these, I realized that part of my commitment/success problem is that I don't often bother to do this...or, if I do, it is registered mentally which doesn't count (and can be counter-productive).  The problem with that is for some of us, like me, we never really see the great strides we have made in reaching our goals or maintaining that certain behavior pattern that we so desire.  Maybe we are too used to seeing ourselves daily that we don't see the subtle changes taking place.  Or maybe we are so hypercritical that we don't allow ourselves to acknowledge our successes even after struggling to accomplish them.


Sometimes I feel like this poor guy...
So, this year is my year of action.  And I can proudly say that I am still sticking to my guns.  I've completed the 10,000 kettle bell swing challenge in the month of January (and still have massive callouses to prove it), I joined Team in Training and collected $882 toward my goal so far, I've broken down my fundraising into bite sized chunks and tackled those on a regular basis without getting overwhelmed, I've attended every meeting with TNT to date, I entered AND ran a 5K ( the Davis Stampede) to kick off the season, I've cooked several healthy or vegan or vegetarian or gluten free meals, I've blogged more this past month then I have in the last year, and I've made time for friends and family (I can't really comment on the house cleaning though I did managed to steam clean the carpets at least).  

Through the kettle bell challenge I have gotten stronger and my arms and abs are more defined.  And through Team in Training I have had to step outside of my comfort zone by asking friends and family to support the cause, approaching my job for sponsorship, becoming creative with letter writing and social networking, and have actually shown up for training meetings in other towns with people I don't know.  And through blogging I have learned so much about myself, some of you, healthy eating, running, cooking, balance, and support.  It's a wonderful means of expression with such an awesome return.


In the course of this health quest and through the wonderful world of social networking, I came across this recipe from an old high school friend (who got it from Oxygen Magazine)...I made a few modifications to make mine this a vegan meal.

Clean Vegan Pizza




Crust
1/2 cup dry oatmeal
1/4 tsp ground flaxseed
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 oz Gimme Lean

Mix together in a bowl, shape into a ball and flatten into a mini pizza crust on a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes, flip over and bake 5 additional minutes.






Topping
1/4 cup pizza sauce or tomato sauce w/a dash of garlic salt
2 TBS vegan cream cheese (original recipe calls for 1/4 cup cottage cheese but I didn't have any)
1 TBS fresh basil, chopped
3/4 cup fresh spinach
1/4 cup arugula
1/4 cup cheese (vegan or your choice)




Mix tomato sauce and cream cheese together.
Add remaining ingredients except cheese in with sauce.
Top with cheese and bake about 13 minutes.






Variations: assorted veggies you have on hand, mushrooms, bell peppers, onion...the choices are endless.




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...