Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Slow Food

What could be in there??


It's CSA (community supported agriculture) Tuesday and you know what that means...pictures of veggies (and my cats).  I think that they are just as excited about our CSA delivery as I am because it means they have a box to jump inside!
Avi loves the CSA box!


What?? Mangoes from my CSA?!?!
Today's delivery did not disappoint and actually had a BIG surprise....Mangoes!  I really think that joining the CSA has been one of the best things I've done in a long time.  Not only am I getting some awesome organic veggies but I am helping to support local farmers.  I am really starting to embrace the slow food movement and recently started reading Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingslover.  It is about her family's one year plan of buying or growing as much of their food as possible from neighboring farms or their own garden.  It is also about how our food choices effect our health, the economy, politics, and our environment.  But don't worry, typical of Kingslover, this book is well-written and captivates the reader, making it hard to put it down at night, even if it is after midnight and I have to get up at 6 am!

One of my New Year's resolutions has involved eating better...but not just choosing veggies over junk, but eating better veggies (organic and local, sometimes known as more flavorful).  I had started by getting eggs at the little chicken farm I drive past almost everyday...it's always fun to stop by and be greeted by a swarm of curious chickens of all types and then to open up the carton and find not just brown eggs but some that look pink and even green!
The Welcoming Committee
Green eggs!!!

About a month ago I received an 'invitation' to join Farm Fresh to You, a local CSA that my 'practically' daughter-in-law uses.  Using a Groupon, I was able to procure a fabulous assortment of veggies and fruit for $15!!!  Well, I was so impressed that I decided to stick with the programming, getting a delivery once every 3 weeks.

If you have access to a local CSA, farm or even a farmer's market I challenge you to try to purchase as much of your produce as possible from these great resources.  They may not have the full selection as your big chain grocery store, but you will most likely be able to buy locally grown, in-season, organic produce at a better price.  And you'll also be helping to support a farmer  by allowing him/her to pocket the profits that would otherwise go to the big corporations.  Click on the CSA link above to find out more!!


vitamins and supplements
Have a blog? Want to win a $100? Check out the Swanson Health Blog.

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely going to see if I have access to something like this! Awesome idea!
    J

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...