Wednesday, June 1, 2011

National Running Day and My Dedication...

On May 30, 1975, Steve Prefontaine, running legend and International track star, was killed in an automobile accident.  He was only 24 years old.


In honor of National Running Day, I wanted to honor Steve Prefontaine as my #1 motivator and inspiration.

Pre, who hailed from Coos Bay, Oregon, held American records in 7 distance track events.  It was his story, as told in the movie Prefontaine, that lit the fire under my butt to keep on running.  It is one of those stories that I can watch over and over again whenever I feel the motivation slipping away.

Even though Pre was a middle distance champion, racing at speeds I have and will NEVER see, it was his love of running and his unconventional approach that keeps me connected with his story.  

At the Pre's Rock, a memorial stone set at the site of Pre's death reads:


"For your dedication and loyalty

To your principles and beliefs...
For your love, warmth, and friendship
For your family and friends...
You are missed by so many
And you will never be forgotten..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...